The Lookout | November 18, 2017

LCC women’s team has fresh look

LCC women’s team has fresh look
  • On November 2, 2017

A new coach. A new system. A new chapter.

The LCC women’s basketball team is starting fresh this season, after finishing last season at 15-14 under now-retired Coach Ervin Brunson.

With new Head Coach Layne Ingram, whose father is men’s basketball coach Mike Ingram, the Stars look to have a new system and style of play for the 2017-18 season.

LCC’s returning sophomores include Destiny Bonds, Lindsay Crim and leading scorers Sarah Schultz and Kelsey Finch.

Ingram said the best part about this team is that the whole team likes to play basketball.

“I’m encouraged about what I saw (in the first scrimmages),” Ingram said. “We are very fast. We can really shoot. I think I’m looking for discipline in the next couple days. But I think what people are going to see is a team that really likes to play basketball.

“…I think we have a chance to win the conference. So I’m hoping that (in the season opener) we come out really strong, really aggressive, hitting shots and kind of let the state know ‘LCC is here’ and we’re not messing around.”

Based on their high school careers and recognition from Coach Ingram, the incoming freshmen look ready to step up this season.

Freshmen Jacqulyn Kolnitys and Lexi Curtis are both from Pinckney High School, where they helped propel the team to its first district win in 12 years.

Freshman Jaylynn Williams finished her high school career third on Ionia High School’s all-time scoring list with 1,176 points.

Ciara Willheart, a Waverly High School graduate, is another freshman that Ingram said will help the Stars this season.

The Stars only scored about 59 points a game last season, and Ingram hopes to improve that. With the freshmen being so skilled, and the returners having great talent as well, Ingram said the team is looking to play fast and put points on the board.

Finch said the sophomores need to fulfill their roles as leaders and focus on the defensive end.

“I just expect that we take leadership on the court and obviously score and play good defense,” Finch said. “Defense is kind of what we’re struggling with as a team right now, so us sophomores need to step up and make that a priority.”

The Stars were scheduled to play in their season opener against Oakland CC at home on Nov. 3. The team’s next home game is against St. Clair County Community College on Saturday, Nov. 18 at 1 p.m.