The Lookout | March 24, 2018

‘Painting with a Twist’ is unique fun

‘Painting with a Twist’ is unique fun
  • On October 20, 2017

By Sarah Barney
A&E Editor

Those looking for a more creative way to spend a night out can find their niche at Painting with a Twist in Lansing.

Painting with a Twist offers painting sessions structured to be fun art rather than fine art. Customers are invited to paint with step-by-step instruction and, if 21 or over, their favorite alcoholic beverage.

While the studio keeps a selection of wines, ciders and beer on hand, participants are allowed to bring in their own unopened bottles of wine.

Each different event has a painting, often themed for the season or holidays, that is completed over the course of two hours.

On Saturday, Oct. 14, the painting for the evening session was “Autumn Grove.” Robyn Parott, who has worked there for almost two years, was the instructor for the session.

“I like, first of all, for all my classes to have fun, but I want them to learn something, even if they don’t know anything about art,” Parott said. “Art is accessible to everyone and everyone should be able to do it at some level … if they put their minds to it.”

Maggie Manns, who attended the session, already had a background in art.

“I sketch, but only as a hobby,” Manns said. “I always wanted to learn how to paint. I am my own worst critic, but I think I’ll definitely do it again.”

The studio’s walls are covered with various paintings and, as classes paint, music is played. Manns described the environment as very relaxing.

“I had a good time and I met some nice people,” Manns said. “It was a wonderful experience.”

Painting with a Twist can be found at 580 Frandor Ave. on the east side of Lansing. Classes range from $25 to $35 and reservations may be made online.

Classes past 6 p.m. are only available for those who are 18 or older. However, those younger than 18 can attend earlier designated classes when accompanied by an adult.

For upcoming classes and more information, visit or call (517) 325-9235.