The Lookout | December 10, 2018

The perks of being a twin

The perks of being a twin
  • On September 21, 2017

By Ashlee Buhler
Associate Editor

There comes a point when all twins learn to expect the same questions:
“Can you read each other’s minds?”

“Have you ever switched places?”

“Is it cool being a twin?”

My response to twin-related questions is usually pretty lame and vague. This is only because there is so much to say, and it would take me a day to give a good explanation.

To answer the basics, I can start by telling you that no, we can’t read each other’s mind, and switching places was never really our thing. But being a twin is incredible and comes with a lot of perks.

As a kid I always called my twin sister, Brittany, my built-in best friend. It’s nice to have somebody who completely understands you and who will always have your back. We have our moments when we disagree and argue, but give us like 10 minutes and we’ll be fine.

Another pro to being a twin is that we think a lot alike and have the same interests, so making plans is easy. We also take care of each other — we share clothes, loan each other money, give each other advice … the list can go on and on.

I couldn’t imagine my life without being a twin. We do almost everything together, we always have and probably always will. I consider myself lucky to have somebody that I’m that close to.

Through the years I’ve learned that I’m more comfortable and confident when she’s around — she truly brings out the best in me, which I’m thankful for.

Sure, there are little things that come with being a twin that are annoying. These include being stared at every time we go out together, being compared to each other or constantly being talked to as if you are one person. But the pros of having a life-long best friend, by far, outweigh any cons.

That is something I have never doubted.

Tags