The Lookout | January 22, 2018

Ewart credits much success to LCC

Ewart credits much success to LCC
  • On September 21, 2017

By Aaron Wilton
Editor in Chief

Dan Ewart, a baritone vocalist, got his humble beginnings at LCC, and credits the instructors with molding him into the person he is today.

“I started taking classes in 2001, when I graduated from high school,” Ewart said. “I transferred the fall of ’05 to MSU.

“You know, when I first started I actually didn’t want to go to college; it was never in the plan. I was going to do stone work; I was going to be a mason.”

Ewart explained that his mother encouraged him to give college a shot. So he enrolled at LCC.

“I don’t know if that was the spring of my first year there, or it might have been the spring of my second year, but I saw a poster on a (bulletin) board somewhere on campus,” Ewart said. “It said the school of music was going to do auditions there in the next couple of days.”

He said he decided to audition because of the fun he had in high school choir, but it wasn’t something he was very good at. Ewart said he actually took high school choir because it was required to graduate.

“And I got in,” he said. “I don’t know if they really would have turned anybody away, and I emphasize that because I really was not very good at all, which is one of the biggest reasons that I credit LCC for setting me up for what would be my future career.”

Ewart said he was privileged to learn under two different world-class instructors while he was at LCC: Richard Fracker and Jerome Helton.

After LCC, Ewart went on to get his Bachelor of Musical Arts degree in Vocal Performance from MSU before continuing at DePaul University for his master’s. He returned to MSU to start his doctoral program.

Ewart said he hopes to finish his Doctorate of Musical Arts in Vocal Performance this fall. Between finishing his master’s and starting his doctorate in 2013, he performed and worked a bit in the vocal realm.

“I took two years to audition after my master’s,” Ewart said. “I was actually living in Cincinnati, doing a lot of private teaching, and had a very successful studio. I think I had about 26 students.

“Two years later I got hired to go down to Shreveport, La. and sing with Shreveport Opera. For the full year, I was their resident baritone. I did a lot of outreach programs: singing for kids in school systems. And then singing in … donor events, things like that.”

Ewart said he also sang in several of the main-stage productions for the Shreveport Opera. More recently, he sang in a production of “Carmen” in the role of Danciaro.

He offered a piece of wisdom to current students.

“I was god-awful at singing when I got into choir in high school,” he said. “I was very much behind the eight ball, but I worked really, really hard and I had a lot of really great teachers and great instruction.

“So, something that I never thought would ever be possible for me to do, I’ve ended up becoming very successful at. People think, going into a performing art, ‘you need to have a certain level of talent’ … and I don’t think that that’s very true at all.”