The Lookout | December 17, 2017

Renegade Festival features LCC talent

Renegade Festival features LCC talent
  • On August 11, 2017

By Haneen Hammad

Lansing Community College students are performing at the Renegade Theatre Festival. The performance includes an original music revue featuring the work of Lansing songwriters.

Through scenes and songs, the lyrics of some of Lansing’s best songwriters are brought to life on stage.

The free event invites students and families to enjoy the festival from Thursday, Aug. 17, to Saturday, Aug. 19 at the Robin Theatre in Lansing’ REO Town.

LCC’s Andy Callis, the director of the presentation, has chosen songs from talented songwriters who display their very own insight on life and relationships.

“For this show I’m mostly excited about people discovering themselves in these songs,” Callis said. “I think they will be moved by them and surprised at the level of songwriting talent that exists right here in Lansing. I want them to be moved by the songs and maybe recognize their own lives in the stories of the songs.

“In this theatre festival there are four songwriters, and LCC is providing three out of the four. This is a chance for the theater community to see and hear the work of local songwriters.”

Jen Sygit, one of the three LCC songwriters, said she is excited to see her old songs come out of retirement in the performance.

“I’m really honored that my music has been chosen to be featured in this show and I’m hoping to hear some new takes on my tunes,” Sygit said.

“The arrangement of a song can make it sound like a totally new piece of music and I find that exciting. I believe that’s the core of musical innovation … Applying your own piece to pre-existing art.”

Jason Strotheide, also a songwriter in the revue, said he feels privileged to be a part of this unique experience.

“I think this is a very unique idea Andy has brought to light,” Strotheide said. “I hope the communities of theater actors, local musicians and patrons all come out to support this event. It’s a really rare opportunity to see this sort of collaboration.”

For more information visit, http://www.renegadetheatrefestival.org/