The Lookout | September 20, 2017

Common Ground has genres for all

Common Ground has genres for all Alessia Cara concert Big Sean performs

By Haneen Hammad

Since 2000, Riverfront Park has hosted one of the more exciting events to take place in Lansing.

Each year, the Common Ground Music Festival hosts with a wide variety of music genres, from country and alt-rock to rap, with a wide variety of well-known artists.

Common Ground’s lineups have always stood out, with Grammy Award winners, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame members and top-level national and regional music performers.

When Common Ground dropped its 2017 lineup, it appeared it would continue its impressive run. Big Sean, Toby Keith, Alessia Cara and Shinedown were headliners throughout the weekend. Also included were recent breakout stars like Fetty Wap and Kyle.

The wide variety of music and unique headliners grabbed the attention of music fans all over. The 2017 festival continued its success by hosting 40,000-plus individuals from July 6 through 9.

Although Common Ground was not among the larger budget festivals, I think it was well worth the money. General admission tickets were $79 for four nights of concerts.

Being my first year of attending Common Ground, I didn’t know what to expect. But my experiences on all four days were pleasant. By the end of the weekend the bar had been set high for future music festivals.

I have heard a lot of things about chaos in previous years, but this year it seemed well organized. The security guards greeted guests as they entered, and volunteers were very eager to help when needed.

The one thing I didn’t enjoy was the amount of trash on the ground. It took away from the enjoyment, and was also a hazard for people walking.

While some days the performances where not typically my genre of music, there was always something to do.

Food trucks and drink venues were set up with chairs for participants to relax. There was also a hammock station for people to hang out. That was my favorite thing to do on between performances.

The crowd seemed to happily enjoy the live music as artists played old favorites, as well as their latest hits. Common Ground is a can’t-miss weekend. I would recommend that locals attend it in the future.