The Lookout | November 18, 2017

Alayne Ingram selected as new coach of LCC women’s basketball squad

By Brodee Gillam
Sports Editor

Passion.

Passion for the game, passion for LCC and passion for her players.

That strong passion can be felt exuding from newly hired LCC Women’s Basketball Coach Alayne Ingram when basketball is brought up around her.

“I’m super tough, but I love basketball,” Ingram said when asked about her coaching style. “I’m into motivating players and into teaching them on how to be the best players they can be.

“I like hard work, I like fundamentals. … I’m going to be yelling a lot. I’m going to be demanding that my players do the best that they can at all times.”

Ingram, 36, is succeeding long-time LCC Women’s Coach Ervin Brunson, who led the Stars to a 15-14 overall record in his final season in 2016-17.

Ingram enters the coaching job with plenty of experience, both as a player and a coach.

She started four years at guard for the University of Michigan, qualifying for the NCAA Tournament twice and the NIT twice. She left as the college’s all-time three-point field goal leader.

After leaving U-of-M, Ingram held several coaching positions in various venues, the most recent as head coach of the Lansing Sexton girls’ basketball team from 2013 to 2015.

After being hired for work at LCC in January of 2013, she was promoted to associate dean of Academic and Career Pathways in 2015.

The coaching opportunity is a homecoming of sorts. With her father being LCC Men’s Basketball Head Coach Mike Ingram, Alayne has been in the Gannon Gym for much of her life.

The elder Ingram has been a player, assistant or head coach at LCC since the early 1980s.

The new women’s coach said she credits the heights of her success to her father.

“I don’t think I would’ve been the player that I was and I don’t think I would be the coach that I am if it wasn’t for him,” Ingram said. “We’re really close; like best friends. We’re a lot alike, which is good and bad, but I wouldn’t be who I was and who I am if it wasn’t for him.”
Mike Ingram said a key quality Alayne brings to the Stars’ is relatability to the players.

“I think this will be great for her and great for (the) girls,” Mike said. “Now they are going to be playing for somebody who’s done it, who’s been one of them, who’s been a little girl, who’s been an AAU player.

“(She has) played in the Big Ten; had a chance in the WNBA and I think that she will be able to …  get the message across; that this is what you have to do to be successful as an individual and as a team.”

LCC Athletic Director Greg Mallek said Alayne was “probably the best interview I’ve ever done,” and politely said “she was head and shoulders above” the other candidates.

“She conveyed all the information that I was looking for in our next coach,” Mallek said. “As far as (being) up-to-date with training philosophies … offensive philosophies, defensive philosophies, the things we needed academically for our student athletes to be successful in the classroom.”

Coach Alayne Ingram said she wants to invite all women’s basketball players in the Lansing area and beyond to open gym sessions in the LCC Gannon Building on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6 to 8 p.m. all summer.