The Lookout | May 25, 2017

Proctor leads LCC softball squad

Proctor leads LCC softball squad
  • On April 27, 2017

By Brodee Gillam
Sports Editor

The Stars split a doubleheader against Kellogg CC, winning the first game 6-2 and losing the second 10-1.

The split puts the Stars’ record at 29-13-1 overall and at 22-4 in the MCCAA West.

Freshman pitcher Connor Proctor pitched a complete game in the win, going a full seven innings. Proctor only allowed four hits and struck out three.

LCC Head Coach Marc Kibby said the first game is the ideal result of his team’s ability; the Stars just need to be more consistent.

“It’s the process of what we do throughout the year to try to be able to achieve that (success) as a team,” Kibby said. “It doesn’t always work every time … but it’s just a process. The thing is to get consistent with all those three aspects. At times we’ve done it, (at) times we don’t.

“Now it’s starting to be getting closer to being able to perfect this, where we are hitting on all cylinders. Right now we’re kind of missing on one.”

Proctor also pitched one inning in the second game, coming in for fellow freshman Taylor VanZytveld, to close out the doubleheader.

Proctor said the problem for the LCC pitchers is usually more mental fatigue than physical fatigue against teams who hit well.

“You have to really focus on hitting locations because if you miss your spot, they’re going to hit the ball hard,” Proctor said. “Physical fatigue usually isn’t a problem.”

Proctor said the Stars’ defense allows her to focus on just pitching and not worry about other parts of the game.

“Our defense provides me with the ability to relax on the mound and not stress about making sure every pitch is perfect,” Proctor said. “They make the routine plays they should, along with so many great-effort plays, like diving catches and stops. That really helps me feel comfortable when I’m pitching.

“The effort my teammates give behind me makes me feel like they have my back when I make a mistake on a pitch or am struggling in general. They help me keep a good mentality all throughout a game.”