The Lookout | July 20, 2017

Opera night helps save a dying art

Opera night helps save a dying art
  • On April 27, 2017

By Hannah Anderson
A&E Editor

The musical scenes class at LCC put on “A Night at the Opera” at Dart Auditorium April 22.

Kelly Stuible-Clark, the instructor of the class, said she wanted to take the class in a different direction than in previous semesters.

Cecilia Major, a student in the class, said she liked the direction Stuible-Clark took.

“I love this class, it’s always so much fun,” Major said. “If we actually had an opera class that came every semester, I think we’d get a great turnout, for sure.”

Major added she would like to see the event come back to Dart in the future.

“Opera is sort of like a dying art, and it’s something that should be brought back to life,” Major said.

Stuible-Clark said the performance was a great opportunity for the community.

“We don’t get to see opera and operetta very much in Lansing,” she said. “We’ve got musical theater everywhere … But besides MSU, we really don’t have anything of this classical genre, so I think this is an opportunity to introduce people in smaller bits than the full productions they do at MSU.”

There were a variety of opera scenes shown in the performance, from a dinner party to a couple writing a secret love letter. Meredith Miller, a singer in the choir, said the soloists put lots of time and effort into the performance.

“I love it because it’s a collage concert, so you’re seeing the soloists plus the choir, and the extra dance moves are really great,” Miller said. “So, I think that the community would really like to see it again.”

Stuible-Clark said she was happy with the performance.

“I think everyone did really well,” Stuible-Clark said. “We had a pretty good size audience, which was wonderful – I was afraid it was going to be really small, and I think for our first venture into something like this, it was nice.”

For more information about performing arts events at LCC, call Performing Arts Production Coordinator Melissa Kaplan at (517) 483-1488 or visit http://lcc.edu/cma/events/