The Lookout | July 20, 2017

Music director retiring from LCC

Music director retiring from LCC
  • On April 27, 2017

By Hannah Anderson
A&E Editor

After about 16 years of working for LCC, César Potes, chair of the music program, is retiring June 30.

Although Potes made it clear he has a passion for teaching and LCC, he said he is excited to compose more after retirement.

“I have been composing as much as I can during the last years,” Potes said. “But because the demands of the job are so strong, you have to be pretty much dedicating your time to preparing your classes, helping with the administration of the program, and things that are college related … So now when I retire I hope I will have time to compose more.”

One of his pieces for violin and electronics, “Surri Bachra Noscia: Homage,” was performed at Cook Recital Hall at Michigan State University on April 17. The piece performed in the “Latin Is America” series originally premiered in New York in 2016.

Potes said there were some technical difficulties during the performance at MSU. However, he said the performer of his piece, Emilie-Anne Gendron, did a great job.

Potes said he wanted to retire from LCC in June specifically because he felt it was time to start following his passion.

“I thought that (it was) better to dedicate the time that I have while I am still healthy and strong to do what I want to do the most, which is composition,” Potes said. “That’s the main factor in the decision that I have been longing for — having more time for my own creativity.”

In his advice to students, Potes said hard work is more important than just inspiration.

“My suggestion is, to be successful in composition or in other realms, to adopt a discipline of hard work,” Potes said.

Potes said although he is retiring, he hopes to continue teaching.

“I have been very glad to have the opportunity to teach at LCC for the last 16 years or so, and now that I retire, I want to keep a link to the college. I do feel that now, with my creativity, I will be able to … probably do a lot for the community (and) the students.”

Potes will have an original composition performed by Isoa Chapman in the New York City Electronic Music Festival on Tuesday, June 20. For more information, go to http://www.nycemf.net/2017-festival/