The Lookout | August 20, 2017

Isaiah Green taking hoop skills to EMU

Isaiah Green taking hoop skills to EMU
  • On April 20, 2017

The Lookout Sports Editor Brodee Gillam recently spoke with LCC sophomore Isaiah Green. The Southfield graduate was the LCC basketball team’s only NJCAA Division II All-American, making the first team. Green averaged 18.3 points, 13.5 rebounds and four blocks per game during the 2016-17 season. Green recently committed to Eastern Michigan University to continue his basketball and academic careers.

What athlete inspires you the most?

“My sister (Christina). She played at Wayne State. She just finished up her senior year there. … She had a lot to battle and mentally she’s one of my heroes. She’s so tough.”

Why did you start playing basketball?

“It was my dad and my sister. My dad (Roosevelt) was a basketball coach at Central High School at the time that I really started liking it, watching it on TV with him, even though I didn’t really know what was going on. And then my sister, she picked it up and started playing … She used to beat me, I used to be mad, Gosh. And then my dad, I played against him a lot and he’d beat me. I didn’t really starting liking (basketball) for myself until like middle school (or) high school. I got here (at LCC) and it just grew, the love for the game just grew. I love it now, I really love it.”

What do you think you’ll take from LCC to Eastern Michigan University?

“Definitely that work ethic from Coach (Mike) Ingram. To play hard. Every time you’re on the court you’ve got to give it your all. That’s one thing I did pick up from Coach Ingram and even the guys from last year, Jimmy (Kodet), Javon (Haines) and Bryan (Morton). Those guys were tough. They played hard every time they were on the court. It was so inspiring to look up to those guys and play with those guys last year, and even this year, the guys we had.”

What is your most memorable moment playing basketball?

“I was playing in AAU with the family going into junior year. It was a select few (who were selected). We … put a team together and took them to (Las) Vegas. I was honored to be selected. It was fun, the practices, the airplane; and then we went to Vegas. Man, it was an unbelievable experience. I played against some of the top players and saw some of the top players. It was fun.”

What is your most embarrassing moment in basketball?

“We were down three and it was a rivalry game my junior year. … The (opposing player) hit a free throw and then he missed a free throw and I got the rebound. I zoned out. I just dribbled all the way down. I didn’t see nobody, I couldn’t hear nobody. I just dribbled all the way down, pulled up from three: airball. Airball. Wasn’t even close, really big game … when we played them my senior year, I went to work. Came back senior year, had 25 (points) and six dunks. I’ll never forget that, that’s something. I just really airballed it.”

Why would you recommend LCC to another athlete?

“I would recommend LCC to another athlete because … I realize that LCC helped tremendously. You can become anything you want to become in college if you put the work in. There’s no excuses. You have a lot more free time and you take what you got and use it to the best of your ability. It can you places. It’ll really turn your life around. I went from having no offers at all to getting (an offer from) EMU, and that’s work and that’s God. So I would recommend LCC, definitely, because it’s a stepping stone, definitely a step in the right direction, and (there’s) no excuses. You come here. You work. You can get it done.”

What are your goals heading into next season at Eastern Michigan?

“My plan is to establish myself; how hard I can play, what I can do on the floor (to) help turn the team around and make the team better. Get my teammates involved, get close with the guys and take this game of basketball as far as I can. My ultimate goal is to play professional and that’s what I’m working toward. I want to start. I want to play. I think I can. I think I can work hard enough to get there and it’s going to take work and a lot of prayer. It’s just like these past two years. But I can do it, I can do it definitely. I don’t think it’s impossible with God.”