The Lookout | June 22, 2017

Catcher Piron a shining Star

Catcher Piron a shining Star
  • On April 14, 2017

The Lookout Sports Editor Brodee Gillam recently spoke with LCC sophomore starting catcher Rebecca Piron. The Escanaba graduate, through April 6, had smacked four home runs and owned a batting average of .337.

Why did you start playing softball?
“It was kind of just something to do in the summer. I started playing T-Ball, and then I got into travel ball when I was 9 or 10. … It just escalated from there.”

What do you want to do after LCC?
“I’m transferring to Ferris (State University) to play ball and then I’m also going to be a chiropractor.”

What is your most memorable moment playing softball?
“It would probably have to be last season. We were at regionals and it was bottom of the seventh inning. We were home and it was tied 9-9. There were two outs and I was up to bat. There were runners on second and third; I hit a walk-off home run to send us to nationals.”

What is your most embarrassing moment in softball?
“There was a time I didn’t know there were two outs and, we throw the ball around, (I) just threw the ball right into the outfield; third base wasn’t even looking and I just chucked it into the outfield.”

What do you want to take away from your time at LCC?
“I like to take away all of the memories, because I know I’m not going to relive them. (Also) all the time I have (spent here) and all the friendships I’ve made.”

What are your goals for this season?
“We definitely want to make it back to nationals, that’s for sure, and definitely want to do a lot better than we did last year at nationals. As a self-goal, I just want to (do) the best I can do, be the best I can be and beat my personal record in home runs (11 in 2016 for LCC).”