The Lookout | July 23, 2018

The life of a student, employee, father

The life of a student, employee, father
The Lookout

-Emerson’s Insights-

Column by Aaron Emerson
Editor in Chief

A lot of times, I write my columns about serious issues in the community and society.

Once in a while, however, I change it up.

As I have been dealing with a lot of stuff with my daughter’s health and school life, I thought it would be a good idea to write my newest column on what it’s like to deal with those issues while being a busy adult.

Finding the right balance between being a college student, a student employee for The Lookout and a father figure can be challenging.

To put it simply, my 6-year-old daughter Melody is my life. I would do anything for her, but sometimes it is extremely hard to be there for her all the time.

As the editor in chief of LCC’s student newspaper, it is not extremely demanding, but I do work hard.

As a student at LCC, it seems like there is constantly either class, homework or studying to do.

Being a father of Melody, though, is non-stop. But I wouldn’t change that fact for all of the riches in the world.

There have been several times when I have had to call off work or miss class to cater to Melody’s needs. As a single father, sometimes I just don’t have a choice.

Thankfully, I have a boss at The Lookout who has worked with me, knowing I have a child and the issues I face.

There have been sicknesses, doctor visits, trips to pick her up from school and even hospital visits within the last year. It can be hard to find time.

It has been an amazing ride, though. It is an honor to be the editor of the newspaper. I have been doing well in school for two years and being Melody’s father is a blessing.

I love my job, my college and especially my daughter. Even though it is hard to make everything work, I sometimes feel like the luckiest man alive.