The Lookout | July 23, 2018

College journalists should be applauded

College journalists should be applauded
The Lookout

By Aaron Emerson
Editor in Chief

True journalism is often the glue that holds a society together. Without news, citizens cannot make informed decisions.

However, many view journalism as a dying industry. Therefore, a lot of potential journalists are scared to spend thousands of dollars on an education for such a future.

In 2016, job search website CareerCast.com ranked a newspaper reporter as the worst job in the country. It listed the annual median salary at just over $37,000 and stated the growth outlook to be minus-9 percent.

When I think about the future of the news business, I am always reminded how much passion most student journalists have for their career choice.

As a college journalist myself, I know how frightening it can be to think about the future when publications are constantly saying my career is dying.

However, news is needed, and a new generation of reporters are needed with it. Student reporters are obviously the future of news, and they should be encouraged.

Most people who get into reporting don’t do it for the money. It is usually pure passion for writing or wanting to make a difference.  For me, it is both.

It is always rewarding to know that a story I have written has made even a slight difference in someone’s life. I am certain every other writer feels the same.

Whether or not journalism is heading downhill, it has to be kept alive somehow. It is too important to fall apart.

College journalists are the future of the business. Facing an extremely uncertain future, they should be applauded for wanting to make a difference in the lives of others.