The Lookout | December 10, 2018

Election brings new faces to LCC board

Election brings new faces to LCC board
The Lookout

By Aaron Emerson
Editor in Chief

The Lansing Community College Board of Trustees will feature a mix of new and familiar faces following the 2016 November election.

Ingham County voters chose newcomers Angela Mathews and Ryan Buck, and also re-elected Robert Proctor and Larry Meyer on Nov. 8.

Alex Azima, who was appointed to the board in 2015, was ousted after receiving the least amount of votes amongst the five.

Meyer was unopposed for a four-year partial term and received 80,591 votes. He has been a trustee since 2009.

Running for a six-year term on the board, Mathews received the most votes in the contested election with 58,871.

“I am so humbled and honored to have received an opportunity to serve with the current LCC Board of Trustees, who are amazing and impactful,” Mathews said. “It’s a surreal moment to which I am thankful, grateful and blessed to receive (that) number of votes.”

Mathews is currently the hiring coordinator for the Lansing School District. She is also a minister at Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church in Lansing.

Proctor received the second most votes amongst candidates running for six-year terms with 47,666. Buck beat out Azima for the final spot with 45,804 votes, more than 2,600 above what Azima received.

“I am humbled and honored that the electorate chose me as a trustee,” Buck said. “I am excited to work with the other trustees, the faculty, staff and the student body to move LCC toward a bright future.”

Proctor has been a trustee at LCC since 2003. He currently serves as the board’s chair.

“I am very grateful that the voters thought well enough of my service on the board to re-elect me,” Proctor said. “I pledge to honor their confidence in me by continuing to serve to the best of my ability in the interests of students, faculty, staff, the business community and residents of the school district.”

The elected trustees will be sworn into office on Jan. 23, 2017 at the 6 p.m. board meeting.