The Lookout | January 22, 2018

My experiences with ‘Pokémon GO’

My experiences with ‘Pokémon GO’
The Lookout

By Aaron Wilton

There have only been a few things that have dominated pop culture and the internet for as long as “Pokémon GO” has managed.

I have been a fan of Pokémon for nearly 15 years and never expected the reaction that people had to a simple phone game.

Crowds form on every night of the week in hotspots for catching Pokémon. People have heated debates on every social media site about the different features and rules that govern this app.

People that normally spend their evenings on the couch are now out walking around until 4:30 a.m. (guilty as charged). These same people have managed to log over 60 km walked since the release of “Pokémon GO.”

Certain super fans have managed to already “catch ‘em all.”

Bugs, glitches, server issues and account issues have all afflicted the game, but none of them have stopped the hyped-up masses from logging in and making progress.

For the first time since I was in elementary school, everyone is talking about Pokémon.

People that have never played one of the regular Pokémon games are now considering purchasing the new games promised for this November: “Pokémon Sun” and “Pokémon Moon.”

To illustrate my point, I would like to tell the story of how I got my Snorlax in “Pokémon GO.”

On a fateful night in downtown Lansing, at around 3 a.m., my brother and I had just tracked down a Clefairy near the Nuthouse.

As we headed back to our car my brother was busy checking Pokévision, an internet site that mapped Pokémon locations, and he suddenly yells “Snorlax!”

We began running to the car and quickly drove down a couple blocks to get it. As we drove we passed herds of people that were running to get to the same location.

Upon finding a place to park, we quickly joined the herd and began speed walking to keep up.

My brother and I each caught our Snorlax, along with the crowd of over 150 people that were mostly complete strangers.

“Pokémon GO” has led to some wonderful things, such as increased exercise. However, some not-so-good things have also come out of it.

Young kids are out until the wee hours unsupervised, and people are risking their lives by playing while driving.

Hopefully in the coming weeks we can reduce the amount of ill-advised decisions being made for a cellular game and maintain the fun that is intended to be had.

Stay safe, Pokémon masters, and play on.