The Lookout | July 19, 2018

Morton helps softballers

Morton helps softballers
The Lookout

Rich Schenck
Sports Editor

The LCC softball team continued to plow through opponents, sweeping the Lady Jayhawks of Muskegon Community College, 5-4 and 2-1 on April 13 at Ranney Park.

Marc Kibby’s Stars (8-0 MCCAA West, 17-11 overall through April 13) held on to first place in the MCCAA Western Conference by one game over Kellogg Community College with their 10th and 11th straight wins.

“The one thing about this team, and what I told them after the game today, is that we are a good enough team to win with power or we can manufacture,” Kibby said.

LCC had outscored its opponents 94-18 during the winning streak and have kept the team batting average above .300 while hammering 26 home runs.

“This is what I have been preaching to them the last six months about,” Kibby said. “It’s the little things you do to get better.”

LCC sophomore pitcher Renae Morton shook off her early season struggles and found her rhythm on the mound, holding MCC (9-3 MCCAA West, 23-7 overall) to one run on eight hits in the second game of the doubleheader.

“It was right on today,” Morton said. “I had been struggling earlier in the season but today was a good day.”

Morton was not without a little bit of worry as the bases filled up toward late in the game.

“I tried to stay calm and not think about anything and to get the job done,” Morton said. “It’s great to know there are people behind me. It makes a difference because I know the game is not on me.”

Morton battled feisty batters all night, racking up close to a dozen pitches per batter at some points.

“Renae did a fantastic job tonight,” Kibby said. “This is the pitcher that we’ve had that we know she is. She’s confident through locations where she knows she wants it … she did a fantastic job.”

The Lady Stars were scheduled to begin their four-game road trip at Ancilla College April 14, then were slated to travel down to Jackson College April 15.

They were scheduled to return to Ranney Park for their sixth game in three days, hosting Lake Michigan College April 16.