The Lookout | December 13, 2018

LCC to present an ‘Evening of Jazz’

LCC to present an ‘Evening of Jazz’
The Lookout

Jaimie Bozack
A&E Editor

LCC music students will take the Dart Auditorium stage on Friday, March 4 at 7:30 p.m. for a jazzy, foot-tapping performance during “An Evening of Jazz.”

The event is a concert featuring both the LCC Vocal Pop & Jazz Ensemble, directed by Kelly Stuible-Clark, and the LCC Jazz Band, directed by Jonathan Gewirtz.

The evening is free and open to the public.

Gewirtz said the performers are students who have been preparing for the show for months.

“The performers have been working on this music since the beginning of the semester and some songs have been carried over from last semester,” Gewirtz said.

The Jazz Band will perform music from composers including Thelonious Monk, Horace Silver, Thad Jones, Sammy Nestico and Wayne Shorter.  

“I believe jazz at the collegiate level should expose students to as many varieties of jazz as possible,” Gewirtz said.

Gewirtz said he hopes to bring attention to the LCC music program through “An Evening of Jazz.”

“Performances like this feature our music department at LCC,” Gewirtz said. “Many people don’t even know we have music or arts at LCC. There are some extremely talented students here at LCC.”

Gewirtz encouraged people to attend the event.

“It will be a great night to hear jazz for free by very talented students,” Gewirtz said. “I hope audience members are entertained and possibly exposed to music that they have never heard before or seen live.”

LCC student Chris Holt has been in the LCC music program for a little over two years. She has played piano for 20 years and flute for one year.

“I am an older student that is returning to music after many years not playing,” Holt said. “I sought out being a member of the Jazz Ensemble to be part of a community of musicians. Playing with others is the best part for me.”

Holt said the band has been busy working on the pieces that will be featured at “An Evening of Jazz.”

“We put our all into preparing for the performances and we all look forward to it,” Holt said. ‘An Evening of Jazz’ will lift you up. Jazz is a great genre and live music is a lot of fun to listen to.”

LCC student Jordan Reese said he has listened to jazz for years. He hopes to make it to the event.

“I love jazz music,” Reese said. “I grew up listening to it on my father’s records. I hope some of my favorites are played.”

For more information on the event head to www.lcc.edu/cma/events/