The Lookout | March 24, 2018

LCC students get recognized for writing talents during LAND contest

The Lookout

Jeremy Kohn
Editor in Chief

LCC has captured two state Liberal Arts Network and Development (LAND) awards.

Winners were selected from 28 Michigan community colleges. The winners will be invited to read their submissions at the LAND awards luncheon on Friday, Feb. 12 in Grand Rapids.

The LCC Foundation gave both Emma Houle and Cruz Villarreal $350 for the upcoming conference.  Both winners will be awarded prize money at the conference in Grand Rapids. Villarreal will receive $150 for his winning essay and Houle will receive $50 for her third-place entry.

Villarreal spoke about the experience of winning first place at the state level.

“To win first place – that was something … and the foundation was kind of enough to give us each of some walking money for my wife and I stay to be able to stay and eat out there,” Villarreal said.  “It speaks well of the foundation and LCC’s desire to have their students participate in this conference.”

Emma Houle, who took third place for her poem, “The Fall of Man,” spoke about her poem and how it felt to be recognized for her work.

“It’s about Adam and Eve,” Houle explained. “I wrote it last spring semester because I had a writing assignment about form poetry … (Teacher Barbara Clauer) mentioned shape poetry and I thought about the shape of the apple.

“I always thought that Eve is given a bad rap and I wanted to tell her side of the story … so I thought the apple was a way to make the poem more interesting and give it more power.”

Houle had this advice to students who are afraid to enter their work.

“Just take the chance,” Houle said.  “I was scared about it and I actually got an email from Barbara Clauer. … She said that she thought I should enter and that was the push I needed.”