The Lookout | December 13, 2018

‘Threepenny Opera’ hits all the right notes for first spring 2016 production

The Lookout

Jaimie Bozack
A&E Editor

The LCC theater department is back at it again with “The Threepenny Opera,” a musical that will leave audience members enchanted as they watch the night unfold.

The musical is written by Berlot Brecht and Kurt Weill. It is directed by Professor Connie Curran-Oesterle.

The show is Fridays and Saturdays, Feb 19, 20, 26 and 27, at 8 p.m. in Dart Auditorium. There will be an additional showing on Sunday, Feb. 28 at 2 p.m.

Tickets are $15 for general audience, $10 for seniors and staff, and $5 for students. This show is not recommended for children under the age of 14.

The Threepenny Opera is a vicious satire on the bourgeois capitalist society in London as told through beggars, thieves and whores during the coronation of Queen Victoria. The story focuses on a criminal and womanizer named Macheath, who marries Polly Peachum.

Director Curran-Oesterle has taught at LCC since 2002. She said she is excited to present the musical.

“I love the biting satire of ‘Threepenny Opera,’” Curran-Oesterle said. “There is so much humor in the show, especially if you understand the idea that man is out for himself.”

Curran-Oesterle said she hopes for a good turnout.

“One always hopes for a large audience to view the show (that) you, your actors and colleagues put so much time and effort into,” Curran-Oesterle said. “There is nothing more exciting than having a large, attentive audience to respond to your play.”

LCC student Travis Williams will play Jonathan Peachum. His character is a businessman who runs a firm called, “The Beggar’s Big Brother,” where he trains the poor in the “art” of begging. Peachum is working on starting an uprising on the day of King George’s coronation.

“What I enjoy most about Jonathan’s personality is that although he is a con man, he is a loving father, intelligent, philosophical and quite the charmer,” Williams said.

This is Williams’ first performance at LCC, but he has been involved in theater for years.

“The most difficult part of being in a musical is learning to be your character both while acting and singing,” Williams said. “I have to be careful that when I am in a show I am behaving as my character all of the time and not letting my personal mannerisms show through.”

Williams encouraged students to come and see what the musical has to offer.

“This show is not your stereotypical toe-tapping musical,” Williams said. “It’s not a show with a hero and villain. It’s a show that deals with people and we see them as realistic people.”

Williams said he looks forward to presenting the show to a large audience.

“Actors are story tellers and every time we step on the stage a new audience gets to hear the story we have to tell,” Williams said. “Hearing them laugh, gasp or applaud tells us we are doing our job right. I audition for shows because I love the rush I get when I am on stage.”

For more information head to lcc.edu/Calendar/