Oscar nominations: Is this Leo’s year?

Oscar nominations: Is this Leo’s year?
The Lookout

-Sights & Sounds-

It is almost that time of the year where I sit down with a few of my closest movie-buff friends and we treat the Oscars much like others treat the Super Bowl.

The Oscars will be aired live on ABC Sunday, Feb. 28 at 8 p.m. My squad will order pizza, bet on the winners and cheer when someone does a winning dance.

After seeing a total of 45 movies in theaters over the course of 2015 I am ready to recap my top five and pick some of my Oscar winners.

Top five movies of 2015:

The Big Short”: Despite an all-star cast that included Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Brad Pitt, Christian Bale and Selena Gomez, I walked into the theater with low expectations. The movie is based on the true story of four groups of people who predict the credit and housing collapse of the mid-2000’s and take on the big banks for their greed. I thought “The Big Short” would go over my head with talk about finances, business and stock: three things I struggle to grasp. It did the opposite and was nothing short of amazing. It offered humor, a unique directing style and great performances by every actor.

Sicario”: If this movie was a book, I wouldn’t be able to put it down. I could not let my eyes leave the screen during this action-packed, high-intensity drama. “Sicario” featured Emily Blunt, Benicio Del Toro and Josh Brolin. It was about an FBI agent who was enlisted by a government task force to help aid in the war against drugs at the border between the U.S. and Mexico.

Straight Outta Compton”: This was the most underrated film of 2015. It is only up for one Oscar nomination, but deserves to be up for many more. The movie is about the individuals who make up the powerhouse rap group, The NWA. What makes the movie special are the performances given by the seemingly unknown actors: O’Shea Jackson Jr., Corey Hawkins, Jason Mitchell, Neil Brown Jr. and Aldis Hodge.

The Hateful Eight”: Maybe my love for “The Hateful Eight” comes from my love of all Quentin Tarantino films. The movie is about a bounty hunter and his prisoner who find shelter in a cabin inhabited by a collection of evil characters. It features Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russell and Jennifer Jason Leigh. The picture is beautiful with actors you love to hate.

The Revenant”: My eyes may have been covered for about 40 percent of the movie but “The Revenant” opened them to history, beautiful pictures and riveting performances. The movie is about a frontiersman on a fur trading expedition in the 1820’s who fights for survival after being mauled by a bear. The movie features powerful scenes of lynching, fighting and evil that makes it hard to watch at times. If Leonardo DiCaprio doesn’t win an Oscar based on his performance I am giving up on the film industry. How has this man not won an Oscar yet?

2016 Oscar top picks:

Best Picture: “The Big Short.”

Actor in Leading Role: Leonardo DiCaprio for “The Revenant.”

Actress in Leading Role: Brie Larson for “Room.”

Actor in Supporting Role: Christian Bale “The Big Short.”

Actress in Supporting Role: Jennifer Jason Leigh for “The Hateful Eight.”