The Lookout | July 19, 2018

Can Abrams bring mystique back to Star Wars?

JeremyColumnHeadCOLORDec. 18 … That’s when one of the most beloved movie franchises of all time returns to theaters with “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.”

The latest chapter in the franchise has fans once again speculating about rumors and theories surrounding the movie. Personally, I have avoided reading these various spoilers circulating “the Net” like I would avoid a nest of Gundarks.

The last “Star Wars” trilogy in the theaters (known as the prequel trilogy) lacked the mystery and mystique of the original movies. We knew what was going to occur before even seeing the movies.

We knew Anakin Skywalker was going to turn to the dark side and become Darth Vader. We knew Chancellor Palpatine would become the Emperor and start the Empire. We knew the Jedi order would be extinguished. There were no shocking revelations.

Excluding the people that read “spoilers” on the web (shame on you), we don’t know much about “The Force Awakens.” Director J.J. Abrams has a reputation for keeping his projects tightly under wraps.

Mark Hamill, who plays Luke Skywalker, has recently stated in an interview that he receives a salary bonus for keeping everything about his character and the movie “hush hush.”

So what do we know about this movie? The iconic faces of Han, Leia, Chewie, C3-P0 and R2-D2 are back.

The newest additions to the franchise include a young female protagonist named Rey (played by Daisy Ridley) her droid BB-8 and male protagonist Finn (played by John Boyega).

A new evil has surfaced led by Kylo Ren, a man who admires the ideals of Darth Vader and wants to follow in his footsteps while starting a new order.

We know that George Lucas has a minimal role, if any, in the movie, as Disney, which owns the rights to “Star Wars,” neglected to use George’s story treatments.

We know that director Abrams, along with screenwriter for “The Empire Strikes Back” and “Return of the Jedi” Lawrence Kasden, helped pen the script for the latest movie.

We know that the CGI has been ditched, and the puppets and practical effects of the original trilogy are back.

I, for one, want to feel the Star Wars magic like I did as a kid. I want to feel the same awe I did watching “The Empire Strikes Back” for the first time, when I found out Darth Vader was Luke’s father.

I want to feel the same shock (pun intended) when I saw the Emperor shoot Luke Skywalker with Force Lightning from out of nowhere.

Come Dec. 18, I want to feel that strong “Force Awaken” inside of me once again.