The Lookout | September 24, 2018

Abortion and slavery are not the same

If The Shue Fits

ShelbyColumnHeadCOLORIn general, I don’t care much for politics. However, the candidates competing for the 2016 election are proving to be difficult to ignore; especially those who keep saying things that in my opinion are just crazy.

I’m sure the above statement brings an image of Donald Trump or Hilary Clinton to mind, but the candidate I’m talking about is Dr. Ben Carson, a neurosurgeon and Republican candidate. In an interview with “Meet the Press” on Oct. 25, Carson compared abortion to slavery.

According to www.cnn.com, when asked his views on abortion, Carson said:

“Think about this. During slavery – and I know that’s one of those words you’re not supposed to say, but I’m saying it – during slavery, a lot of the slave owners thought that they had the right to do whatever they wanted to that slave. Anything that they chose to do.

“And, you know, what if the abolitionist had said, you know, ‘I don’t believe in slavery. I think it’s wrong. But you guys do whatever you want to do?’ Where would we be?”

I’m sorry, but … what?

It completely blows my mind that Dr. Carson believes these two topics comparable. It’s like comparing having wisdom teeth removed to the holocaust; a medical procedure versus an event in history that caused great suffering.

Carson also told “Meet the Press” that he would not support abortion in cases of forced pregnancies like those of rape and incest, but would consider it if the pregnancy threatened the life of the mother.

Whether someone is pro-life or pro-choice, the real issue boils down to a right to bodily autonomy. Forcing someone to have a pregnancy is just as repugnant as forcing someone to have an abortion, since both involve doing something to another person’s body that that person does not wish to have done.

If someone is forced into having a pregnancy, then maybe people with penises should be forced into having vasectomies.

That would surely eliminate many unwanted pregnancies.

However, maybe Carson’s comparison shouldn’t be taken too seriously since, according to www.huffingtonpost.com, Carson has also compared Obamacare to slavery.

If anyone needs a neurosurgeon, it’s probably him.

To watch the “Meet the Press” interview, visit www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojuvvtjAMw8/