The Lookout | July 19, 2018

‘Never Swim Alone’ looks to amaze

‘Never Swim Alone’ looks to amaze

Jaimie Bozack
A&E Editor 

LCC’s theatre department will prove that “one’s company, two’s a crowd and three’s a party,” by presenting the dark comedy, “Never Swim Alone,” written by Daniel MacIvor.

“Never Swim Alone,” is the first fall 2015 production at LCC. It will be held in LCC’s Black Box Theatre Friday and Saturday, Oct. 2 and 3, as well as Friday and Saturday, Oct. 9 and 10. All shows start at 8 p.m.

Tickets are $5 for students and $10 for general public.

The play, directed by Deb Keller, follows the story of two childhood friends, Frank and Bill. They become competitive businessmen who try to prove they are better than each other. The characters have a referee who decides who is better in rounds.

The play features three LCC students: Monica Tanner, Heath Sartorius and Connor Kelly.

Keller has been directing plays for 12 years. She said she looks forward to giving attendees a unique experience.

“We have been training Monica, who plays the referee, to do an Aerial Silk Act, which is an incredibly hard thing to learn,” Keller said. “She is still learning and it goes to show that everyone’s heart is truly in it.”

According to Keller, the group has been rehearsing since September. She said she is proud of her students.

“I am very nervous when they step on stage,” Keller said. “My whole heart rides with them in these shows and I try and give as much positivity as possible.”

Kelly, who plays Bill, has been involved with the theater program for a year and has been in seven productions.

“It’s hard to describe the play because it’s all about the audience’s perception,” Kelly said. “I could tell you what I think it’s about, but people could easily disagree with me.”

Sartorius, who plays Frank, has been involved with the LCC theater program since 2012 and has been part of nine performances. He said his character is extremely competitive and likes competition, but only when he wins.

“My character is often seen as the man to beat,” Sartorius said. “He is never willing to give up his spot of first place and he pushes away any human elements that make him imperfect.”

Sartorius said the play has an interesting plot that sets it apart from most plays.

“I think it has wit and humor to it as well as an intensity that makes you feel like you might never want to be friends with them,” Sartorius said. “It doesn’t have as much of a plot compared to most plays and is set in a surreal world of its own.”

Sartorius said his favorite part about completing a performance is connecting with the crowd.

“I love being able to talk with people I respect about what they enjoyed about the performance,” Sartorius said. “It feels great after a show coming down from one adrenaline, going into another rush.”

Sartorius encouraged people to come to the show and experience “Never Swim Alone.”

“I hope people walk away with a jaw on the floor, eyes wide open, and have more kindness to people you think you are better than,” Sartorius said.

For more information head to goo.gl/NvKgQX/