The Lookout | January 18, 2018

There’s no confusion here; Glazed & Confused is sweet

Jaimie Bozack
A&E Editor

A line formed outside of Glazed and Confused located at 107 S. Washington Square before it had even opened doors for business.

Owner of Glazed and Confused Pete Counseller watched as he sold over 1,000 donuts before 8 a.m. during the shop’s grand opening on Wednesday, Aug. 12.

Glazed and Confused is an urban bakery that sells items ranging from donuts and danishes to sandwiches.

Before baking, Counseller worked as a fireman in East Lansing for 25 years until he got injured on the job a year ago. Counseller was told he could never return to his job due to a blown shoulder and ruptured Achilles tendon.

“Being a fireman was a big part of my life, and to know it was taken away from me was tough,” Counseller said. “If I hadn’t found baking I may have gone crazy.”

Counseller said he took some culinary classes before becoming a fireman, but never looked at baking as a career choice until after the accident.

Since then Counseller said he had spent over a year looking for the right spot to open his bakery.

“I met with business leaders that knew downtown well and some of them were pretty skeptical about what I wanted to do in Lansing,” Counseller said. “There was something in my gut that told me Lansing was the right area.”

Counseller said he has been overwhelmed with the early success of his business and hopes to keep it going.

“To actually have those days that are consistently busy as a new business is special,” Counseller said. “I have some apprehension to whether the success will continue. I want to believe that business will last.”

Counseller said the decision to open a bakery in Lansing was based on his goal to bring more business to the city he loves.

“An urban bakery is all about being part of your city,” Counseller said. “I would like to believe that Glazed and Confused will play a big role in increasing foot traffic in downtown Lansing.”

Counseller recommended that customers try the Long John at Glazed and Confused.

“Our Long John has a very unique pastry cream that is made from scratch every day,” Counseller said. “It took us a very long time to create because we wanted to make it memorable.”

Counseller said he owes the success of Glazed and Confused to his family.

“To me it is all about having my three kids and wife there,” Counseller said. “I can’t even tell you the number of hours they put in supporting me and our family store.”

LCC student Chad Donway said he enjoyed seeing a new place open downtown.

“Glazed and Confused is the best thing to happen to downtown in a long time,” Chad Donway said. “There should be a million more Glazed and Confused bakeries in other places.”

For menu information, hours and contact information go to www.glazedandconfusedbakery.com