The Lookout | August 18, 2019

Cosgrove is new LCC veteran’s director

Cosgrove is new LCC veteran’s director

Jeremy Kohn
Editor in Chief

Andrew Cosgrove is Lansing Community College’s new director of Veteran and Military Affairs.

The 28-year-old Cosgrove served in the Michigan Army National Guard for two years. He replaces James Bender, who was relieved of his director’s duties back in January.

Cosgrove traces his love for all things military to his father Mark, who is the program coordinator for the LCC Aviation Technology Center.

“I grew up with it; I was around it my whole life,” Cosgrove said. “(My father) worked on helicopters – I couldn’t do that because I was color blind – so this is the next best thing.”

Alick Nurenberg, a work-study student employee for the Veteran and Military Affairs Office at LCC, said Cosgrove is a good fit for the department.

“He just jumped into the office; he didn’t even have his computer in the office, and he got right to work,” Nurenberg said. “He was all for helping us. He knew if we had what we needed as his workers then the place was going to continue to run smooth.

“He has complete confidence in us … he trusts us.”

Cosgrove said he will implement new strategies to career and employment guidance.

“This is what I did before this; I worked with employer services for the guard and reserve,” Cosgrove said. “I also worked closely with Beth Gillette, the employment coordinator of the state.”

Cosgrove has contacted Gillette again to seek help with setting up job fairs, as well as hosting vocational workshops for interviews, resumes and cover letters.

As the new director, Cosgrove said he is pleased to see how smoothly renovations to the veterans’ office in the LCC Huron Building have gone.

The new additions to the office include the veteran’s lounge with a 65-inch screen TV, a computer lab with six computers, a study room and a counseling room.

Cosgrove said he hopes these changes will bring a more efficient office environment.

“I basically want this place to be a one-stop shop for veterans here,” he said.  “They come in — they get their questions regarding education, health care, disabilities answered — as well as being a hangout for veterans.”

A grand opening event for the new renovations will be held Aug. 25 through 27 outside the Office of Military Affairs near the Huron Building. Members of the Ingham County Veterans Association and LCC Student Organizations will attend.

For more information about the Office of Military and Veteran Affairs, stop by the Huron Building or call 483-5426.