The Lookout | July 19, 2019

LCC to host workshop for returning adult students scheduled for July 30

Jaimie Bozack
A&E Editor

For some students, the balance between school, work, family and a social life can be hard to keep up with during the hectic school semester.

Finals, homework and trying to do well academically can be taken over by the need to take care of family, working to meet rent and daily responsibilities.

The Women’s Center of Greater Lansing, in conjunction with LCC’s Women’s Resource and Returning Adult Program, will offer a “Returning Adult Workshop” Thursday, July 30 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.

The workshop, to be held in room 310 of the Gannon Building, is designed for adults returning to school after a long or short hiatus, according to Lisa Haston, interim coordinator of Women’s Resource and Returning Adult Program.

“The goal of the workshop is that attendees will meet others with the same concerns about balancing family, work and school,” Haston said. “Information about campus and community resources will be shared. The workshop will provide free child care, food and fun.”

Haston said there have been Back to School workshops before, but this workshop will orient students to issues they will face as student, parents and workers.

“Students are encouraged to attend because they will get information in a short period of time and meet other students who have similar experiences,” Haston said. “They will also gain an understanding of what to expect as LCC students.”

Haston said she is happy to be part of this workshop and hopes many students will participate.

“I am excited about telling students about resources on campus and in the community that they might not otherwise hear about,” Haston said. “There are lots of free resources that students can take advantage of, but they must know about them first.

“Individuals who are students, parents and workers are pulled in many directions,” Haston said. “There are just so many hours in a day to get everything that they must accomplish done. An event like the Returning Adult Workshop can open the door to an understanding of their roles and ways to manage them.”

LCC student Sam Spagnuolo is no stranger to the juggling act of school and work. She works three jobs while attending school full time.

“Trying to find some time for a social life is the hardest,” Spagnuolo said. “School and work takes up so much time I rarely have time to hang out with friends. It’s disappointing because I see my friends doing fun activities while I sit at work.”

Spagnuolo said she is always looking for ways to keep organized during the school semesters.

“I keep sane with a planner,” Spagnuolo said. “If I have everything planned out I have time for everything. If I didn’t have good time management I don’t know how I could handle all of this.”

To register, or for more information, students can call (517) 372-9163 or email womenscentergl@gmail.com. Haston said students should indicate whether they will need childcare during the event.