The Lookout | January 18, 2018

Common Ground draws nearly 50,000

Common Ground draws nearly 50,000

Jaimie Bozack
A&E Editor

Giant balloons, bright lights and colorful confetti all brought the 16th annual Common Ground Music Festival to a close on Sunday, July 12 at the Adado Riverfront Park in downtown Lansing.

The festival’s “Sweet Sixteen” closed with performances by Empire of the Sun, The Flaming Lips and other acts that brought amped performances and sweet sounds to the stage.

This year’s festival had a slow start due to rain and the sudden cancellation of the most anticipated headliner, Meghan Trainor, on July 7.

Headliners throughout the week, including Snoop Dogg and The Flaming Lips, made up for the lack of attendance earlier in the week and pushed total festival attendance to nearly 50,000.

LCC student James Christen said he had fun despite the cancellation of Trainor.

“I was originally going to see Meghan Trainor but ended up seeing Wale,” Christen said. “I had never heard of him, but as you can tell by the T-shirt and album I bought, I became a huge fan.”

Lansing native Justin Pine had the chance to perform with local rap group Ribcage on July 11.

According to Pine playing drums and opening for Snoop Dogg and Wale was an incredible experience.

“We were rehearsing for an upcoming show when we received a call asking if we would be available to perform,” Pine said. “Our reaction was what anyone would expect; a lot of jumping around, yelling and high fives.”

Pine said it has been his dream to perform at Common Ground since he was young.

“The performance was one I’ll remember for the rest of my life,” Pine said. “Playing on the GM Pavilion Stage was rather intimidating at first, but listening to your drums be amplified is a feeling like no other.”

The Flaming Lips brought in confetti cannons and dancing rainbows during the finale of Common Ground on July 12. The acts brought in more than 5,000 people and ended the festival with a bang.

“The Flaming Lips put on the best show ever,” LCC student Sara Thompson said. “I will be picking confetti out of my hair for the next few days.”

LCC Early College alumni Erika Wentworth encouraged everyone to come to Common Ground next year.

“My favorite part about the festival is there is something for everyone,” Wentworth said. “Most festivals try and cater to a specific niche audience, but Common Ground presents options for everyone.”