The Lookout | June 24, 2018

Common Ground kicks off 16th annual festival

Jaimie Bozack 
A&E Editor 

The first two days of the 2015 Common Ground Music Festival brought plenty of music and surprises to downtown Lansing.

With news that the Tuesday, July 7 headliner, Meghan Trainor, had cancelled her show due to medical reasons, it left many fans wondering what would happen next.

Joshua Davis, a Michigan native and a 2015 finalist on “The Voice,” stepped in to fill a slot on Tuesday evening. Misterwives then became the headliner, in place of Trainor.

Attendance for Tuesday was expected to be upwards of 8,000 and ended up around 3,000. Despite the attendance drop, fans and musicians made it clear they were still having a good time.

LCC student Marisa Hilts said she enjoyed her first year at Common Ground.

“I didn’t really know what to expect but I loved every moment of it,” Hilts said. “Meghan Trainor’s sudden cancellation was a bit disappointing. However I fell in love with the other bands.”

There was no disappointment for MSU student Casey Fells, who said she is a huge fan of Davis.

“I loved Joshua Davis; I was a fan of him on ‘The Voice’ so when I heard he was filling in I almost cried,” Fells said. “My favorite thing was (the) zip-line across the Grand River and getting over fears … and tears.”

Performer Cyrus Hutchings, who has lived in Lansing his entire life, said he was happy to perform on the GM Pavilion stage on Tuesday as part of rap group The Specktators Collective.

“This is my second year performing at Common Ground but it was my first performance as a signed artist,” Hutchings said. “It’s really neat to see people mouthing your words, wearing your merchandise and traveling purely to make a day out of enjoying your craft.”

Hutchings said he had a great time watching other acts.

“Misterwives killed it as usual,” Hutchings said. “I got to meet and hang out with them after the set and got Mandy’s digits. I’m all smiles over here.”

On Wednesday, July 8, Jane’s Addiction took the stage and gave ‘90s rockers some nostalgia.

Attendance on Wednesday climbed to over 7,000 as Jane’s Addiction lead singer Perry Farrell, 56, moved like he was in his 20s.

Other acts, In This Moment and Here Come The Mummies, performed with powerful stage presence and became night favorites.

“Here Come The Mummies blew my mind,” Jordan Ragland said. “They are so good at their instruments that it made me never want to pick up my saxophone again.”

Country acts were scheduled to take the stage on Thursday, July 9 starting at 5:30 p.m. Headliner The Band Perry will be joined with other country acts including Old Dominion, Parmalee and Bear Creek Brothers.

For lineup and ticket info head to http://www.commongroundfest.com/