The Lookout | April 20, 2018

‘Be A Tourist In Your Own Town’ event offers inside look into Lansing fun

Jaimie Bozack
A&E Editor

A little rain did not stop tourists from coming out and participating in Lansing’s 21st annual “Be A Tourist In Your Own Town” on Saturday, May 30.

The young, old and in-between enjoyed over 90 attractions in East Lansing, Downtown Lansing, REO Town and Old Town locations.

LCC was among those attractions, highlighting the LCC Downtown Sculpture Walk, Shigematsu Garden, LCC TV and Radio, and the LCC Veterans’ Memorial.

Participants had an opportunity to travel to locations throughout Lansing with the purchase of a $1 passport. Capital Area Transportation Authority (CATA) provided 50-cent round-trip fares during the day.

Marketing Communications Manager Brendan Dwyer of the Greater Lansing Convention and Visitors Bureau said attendance was strong despite the rain.

“The event was well-attended, but not quite as busy as previous years,” Dwyer said. “Attendance was in the neighborhood of 12,000 to 15,000 people, and the indoor attractions were as busy as always.”

According to Dwyer some of the most popular attractions this year included: Impression 5, the State Capitol Building, the MSU Dairy Store and Potter Park Zoo.

LCC student Lydia Samuel has lived in Lansing her whole life. She said she enjoyed the event.

“My favorite part was going to the Impression Five Museum because I have not been there since I was a kid,” Samuel said. “I didn’t remember what the museum was like, but walking in there again was like a flashback to childhood.”

MSU student Aaron Dunn said the event gave him the chance to have fun with friends.

“I think it was cool to showcase some of the places in the area that you sometimes forget about or overlook, Dunn said.

Dwyer said he has high hopes for next year’s “Be A Tourist” event.

“My hopes are that we have more new attractions and an even greater number of people come out to explore Greater Lansing,” Dwyer said. “My favorite part of the event is seeing someone experience a cool Lansing attraction for the very first time.”

Jennifer Kluth of Lansing, who has attended the event for three years, said she hopes the event expands into a three-day event.

“It is hard keeping track of my four kids, especially when we are always stopping for bathroom breaks,” Kluth said. “It would be nice to have this event go more than one day; maybe a whole weekend.”