The Lookout | July 23, 2018

‘Streetcar rolls into Dart Auditorium

‘Streetcar rolls into Dart Auditorium

Sarah Spohn
A&E Editor

Romantic illusions. Rejection of realities. Pressures. Madness. What else is there to be desired?

American theater classic “A Streetcar Named Desire” is coming to LCC’s Dart Auditorium for two weekends this February.

The Pulitzer Prize and Tony-Award winning play, written by Tennessee Williams and directed by Paige Dunckel, takes places in 1940s in New Orleans.

The play focuses on Blanche DuBois, her sister Stella Kowalski and Stella’s husband, Stanley Kowalski.

Anna Szabo, LCC sign language major, spoke about her character Blanche.

“Blanche is very eccentric,” Szabo said. “She tells a lot of stories. She’s fun, she’s a great character.”

Despite differences, Szabo said it is fun to play someone so different from yourself. In fact, that’s her favorite part of acting.

“It’s transportation to another world,” Szabo said. “Books and painting and all that are just as valid as any art form, but I think theater is really special because it is humans portraying human experiences.”

Human experiences and the struggles and pressures of family are two themes that make this play so relatable, no matter what decade.

Sarah Lynn Wilke plays Stella, a character she said is easy to relate to personally.

“Family is a really important aspect of her life,” Wilke said. “Family is a top priority for myself, so it’s easy to relate to the struggle between duty and family.”

Wilke acts alongside Szabo, one of her close pals.

“We’re best friends so it’s really easy to create those feelings of familiarity and love and caring,” Wilke said. “Hopefully the chemistry shows.”

LCC alum and independent filmmaker Michael McCallum plays Stanley Kowalski, a role made famous by Marlon Brando.

“This is one of the most touted, celebrated plays written in the past 100 years,” McCallum said. “It won every single Oscar category except ‘Best Lead Actor.’ It’s an iconic role.“

“Honestly, I always felt when somebody was doing this show, ‘Why the hell are they even going to touch it, because it’s been perfected,’” McCallum said.

“When Paige contacted me and told me she wanted to cast me as Stanley, I was honored,” McCallum said.

“From my perspective, nobody’s going to be Marlon Brando. For me, I’m bringing my own flavor. I’m not doing an interpretation of him,” McCallum said.

Wilke spoke about how the play has managed to stand the test of time.

“It can appeal to all types of audiences, because it’s such an iconic play,” Wilke said. “I’ve talked to different people from all different ages and it seems to be a play that just never grows old.”

The play has mature themes and language. It is not recommended for young children.

“A Streetcar Named Desire” will have performances Feb. 20 and 21, 27 and 28 at 8 p.m., as well as March 1 at 2 p.m. The Sunday matiness will feature sign-language interpretation.

Tickets are $5 for students, $10 for seniors and LCC staff/faculty and $15 for general public.

For tickets and more information, call 517-483-1488.