The Lookout | July 23, 2018

Plus-sized S.I. model is beautiful

If the Shue Fits

ShelbyColumnHeadCOLOR

It is really no secret that I am not a huge fan of sports. I can’t catch a ball to save my life, let alone throw one, and I tend to eat more at sporting events than watch the actual sport.

Needless to say, Sports Illustrated has never been my magazine of choice, especially when it comes to the swimsuit issue.

This year could be the exception.

Sports Illustrated will make history in its 2015 swimsuit issue by featuring Ashley Graham, a plus-sized model who knows how to work it in a string bikini.

Graham, size 14, has already appeared in a short video in which she struts her stuff in a black string bikini. Men swoon over her as she strikes poses and throws her hair around gorgeously.

The video is meant to advertise the swimsuitsforall campaign (#CurvesinBikinis), designed to help women of all sizes feel confident in any type of swimwear

This campaign is very, very important.

Too many people feel uncomfortable with their bodies, whether it is while wearing a swimsuit or just living everyday life.

I’m not just talking about curvy people, either, as everyone has probably felt pressure to change their body in one way or another to seem more “attractive.”

Seeing videos like Graham’s in popular media is inspiring because it showcases a different body type than that of most media, and it showcases it in a way that is alluring.

It is not simply saying “curvy girls can wear bikinis, too” but rather “curvy girls can wear bikinis, too, and look great doing it!”

That is a message I can gladly support.

To see the video, go to: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uLoGnJLmhQ