The Lookout | April 20, 2018

Homecoming happenings spark LCC’s school spirit

Jaimie Bozack

Students found various ways to show their spirit during Lansing Community College’s Homecoming Nov. 11 through 15.

Students wore LCC merchandise, cheered on the basketball team, and attended homecoming events like the homecoming tailgate held outside of the Gannon Building.

Student Life Event Coordinator Joshua West said he was happy with the turnout of Homecoming despite the chilly weather. Many students braved cold, rainy weather throughout the week to take advantage of the tailgate party on Washington Square between the Gannon and A & S buildings.

“I was hoping for warmer weather than we got on Wednesday, but apparently I used up all my good weather tokens on Tuesday,” West said.

“We saw a great response from students for Homecoming. I would even say we increased participation from last year.”

The tents lined outside gave students an opportunity to show school spirit, have fun and learn more about volunteer events, as well as get free food and merchandise.

“Having the student organizations involved helped give them some ‘face time with the students,” West said. “Events like these help get the students involved, not just on the day of, but also in future events the college puts on.”

LCC Early College student Marcos Garcia said he really enjoyed Homecoming.

“My favorite part was attending the basketball game and watching students stay motivated and cheer on their team,” Garcia said. “I enjoyed wearing my LCC sweater to school and showing my spirit.”

LCC student Willie Gross said he wished Homecoming would have been better publicized.

“It wasn’t advertised as well as it probably should have been,” Gross said. “I didn’t know about it until the day of when they handed me free pizza outside.”

West said there is room for improvement, but overall the event did well and he looks forward to next year’s Homecoming.