Coming face to face with my biggest inspiration

So many questions. So many things I want to tell her. So many miles until we get there.

Those are just some of the many things that went through my head as my boyfriend Jason Marr and I made our way to the Crofoot Ballroom in Pontiac to see one of my favorite comedians, Tig Notaro.

I have watched Tig do stand-up comedy for years through clips on YouTube and on Conan. But that’s all they were: clips on the screen. I never thought I would have an opportunity see her live.

Once we got there I made Jason stand outside for an hour in the cold to guarantee we could get a spot up front.

Sitting up front to me meant two things: We would make eye contact and she would realize I am the funniest person and she would take me on tour with her. Or, she would heckle me and bring me up on stage.

Either way, sitting up front would hopefully mean more interaction with Tig.

An hour passed and the doors finally opened. I hurried to the front to grab two seats directly in front of the microphone.

I looked over at Jason to get the nod of approval on a job well-done for getting so close. However he looked very nervous to be sitting front-and-center at a comedy show.

After another long hour of waiting the lights dimmed and a smile came on my face.

Tig walked on stage and for a second it still felt like a clip on YouTube. It wasn’t until she stepped right in front of me that I realized I was looking at THE REAL Tig Notaro.

From her first joke I was grabbing my sides in pain from the laughter. As the show went on I came to the conclusion that this was the best stand-up show I had ever been to.

Just as I thought it couldn’t get any better, she called Jason out of the crowd to say something into the microphone and brought him on stage.

I couldn’t believe it. The two people I love together on one stage. Just as I thought things really couldn’t get any better, she called me out as well.

She said, “Are you OK? Your laugh sounds like you’re in need of a medical emergency. If you need me, I am here for you.”

It was not exactly how I expected things to go, but it worked.

Finally the lights came on and it was over. I rushed back to the merchandise table for meet and greet.

After years of waiting for this moment and wanting to meet her, I was finally standing right in front of her. I practiced what I would say to her months leading up the show and finally here I was.

The two people in front of us walked away and it was our time to walk up and meet her. Going through everything in my head like a script, I was ready to talk to her.

I nervously walked up to Tig, extended my hand for a handshake and then stood in silence for what seemed like two minutes, forgetting everything I was going to say.

Finally words came to me. I looked Tig right in the eye and said, “You did great.”

This was not exactly what I wanted to say, but it is all that could come out. I then apologized for the sweat on my hands and got a picture.

Meeting Tig Notaro was one of the best moments in my life. Maybe next time I will have the words to say. I will keep practicing.