The Lookout | April 19, 2018

Mime’s silent act to be talk of town

Mime’s silent act to be talk of town

Sarah Spohn
A&E Editor

LCC advertising student Joshua Moore just might be the next talk of the town.

Ironically enough, his profession requires he mustn’t utter a single word.

Moore is a mime in the physical theater group YFX out of Detroit. The group will  appear on TruTV’s brand new show, “FAKE OFF.” The show is unlike previous reality television or competition-based shows seen before.

While there are three judges, and a live studio audience who votes, this is no “American Idol,” but rather the first reality show to be based on physical theater.

Moore has been in and around the world of theater, learning about mime since he was a teenager.

“I’ve been studying (mime) since the age of 13,” Moore said, through his church and community groups.

After graduating from J.W. Sexton High School in Lansing, he attended Columbia College in the Chicago. There in the Windy City, Moore studied child development and theater. After teaching for a while, Moore moved back to Michigan.

It was a move that was not part of the big picture, but ultimately brought about plenty of bigger opportunities.

“Moving back wasn’t because I wanted to, my lease was up,” Moore said. “But the cool thing, if I never moved back, I probably wouldn’t have gotten into the theater company.

“So it was meant to be — unfortunately,” Moore laughed.

Currently taking advertising classes at LCC, Moore is already planning on his next big move. Hoping to get a stable job in advertising, Moore will continue to build his creative portfolio until he is able to sustain himself fully from the arts.

“After this, I think I’m moving to California or New York,” Moore said.

While he can’t officially say what ‘this’ is, meaning the outcome of the show, Moore is anxious to see the footage.

“I’m completely nervous,” Moore said. “We just see it when the rest of America sees it.”

While excited, a viewing party is probably not in the cards for this mime.

“I’m just going to cross my fingers and watch on the edge of the couch,” he said.

While rehearsals and filming took place over a month in Georgia, and the contract was lengthy, Moore is incredibly grateful for the experience.

“From the business side, the contract side, the performing side and just the overall experience there, I learned so much,” Moore said. “I learned about what it means to be able to articulate yourself as an artist, to really own what you do.”

The first episode of TruTV’s “FAKE OFF” airs Monday, Oct. 27 at 10 p.m.  Viewers will be able to see a short preview clip of Moore’s performance with YFX then, and the full episode on Monday, Nov. 3 at 10 p.m. on TruTV.