The Lookout | July 20, 2018

Fun festivities abundant in October

Fun festivities abundant in  October

JamieColumnHeadCOLOR

As the cool weather approaches and the leaves start to change colors I am getting more excited to start participating in fall festivities.

Besides Halloween, there are many activities that I like to do throughout October. This is my favorite month and I want to share some fun activity ideas.

Costume parties: I know what you’re thinking. Jaimie gets invited to parties?

No. Not usually. But I have been to some costume parties.

This has always been one of my favorite events around Halloween. It’s a time to dress up and be creative, have fun, and be with friends. Last year I was Tina Fey being Sarah Palin. This year I’m going as the standup comedian who tells really bad jokes.

Bobbing for apples: I actually have never bobbed for apples. I just love the idea of dipping your head under water and trying to get an apple with your teeth.

Haunted houses: It’s not Halloween without going to one good haunted house and almost peeing your pants.

I have a love-hate relationship with haunted houses. I get scared way too easy but I also love getting scared.

Around Halloween I usually go to at least three or four haunted houses around Michigan. There are so many haunted houses to choose from that it can be hard to pick the right one.

Two of my favorites are The Jackson Underworld in Jackson and Terror on 27 in Ashley. These are two which I will definitely be making a trip back to this year.

Uncle John’s Cider Mill: Going to Uncle John’s Cider Mill in St. John’s has been a tradition for me ever since I was really young and went on field trips there. I remember watching in amazement when I was younger as the apple cider was getting made.

Drinking apple cider with every meal always puts me in the fall mood. Uncle John’s Cider Mill is a great place for families or for anyone just looking to grab a donut or cider. For information on special events there, go to http://www.ujcidermill.com/.

Pumpkin Carving: Last year I carved a pumpkin that had one tooth, it was supposed to be a vampire, but one tooth fell off so it ended up becoming a hillbilly pumpkin.

Pumpkin carving always puts me in the Halloween and fall spirit. Even though I’m not very good at carving, I always enjoy doing it for fun.

Scary movies: Around this time of the year I go on a scary movie binge. Starting Oct. 1 I make an attempt to try and watch every scary movie I can find between the movie theaters, movie stores and Netflix.

It’s a fun tradition that I have had since I was old enough to be able to watch scary movies. They are fun, terrifying and can put anyone in the Halloween spirit.

Halloween: What would October be without the 32-packs of Snickers? A day where candy is passed out to kids is probably the best idea for a holiday ever.

I love passing out candy to kids in my neighborhood. To me, Halloween is the best thing about October. Bringing little kids joy and also a sugar rush makes me very happy.