The Lookout | March 26, 2017

Fagbug makes pit stop at LCC

Fagbug makes pit stop at LCC

Jaimie Bozack

Many people stop and stare as Fagbug director Erin Davies drives around in her rainbow-colored Volkswagen Beetle that has the word “Fagbug” painted on the side.

There is much more to the story than just the word on the car.

The LCC Gay Straight Alliance invited speaker Erin Davies to come in and talk about her experiences of homophobia on Sept. 16 in the Arts & Sciences Building.

On April 18, 2007, Davies’ VW Beetle was vandalized with the words “fag” and “u r gay” written on the driver’s side window and hood.

Rather than remove it, Davies decided to make a statement by keeping the graffiti on for one year. She went on a 58-day trip around the U.S., creating a documentary titled, “Fagbug” as she went along.

Davies said her goal was, and still is, to raise awareness about hate crimes and homophobia.

“I think it’s important to share my story because it gives a positive example of a person taking something negative and turning it into a positive, not only for themselves, but others as well,” Davies said.

Davies said she has had mixed reactions about her vehicle, but overall has received positive feedback.

“I have received almost 400 notes on the car but only four or five have been negative,” Davies said. “I got one thumbs down once and about 35 thumbs up.”

Davies said she liked coming to Lansing Community College and the feedback was all positive.

“I enjoyed speaking to the group at LCC,” Davies said. “It was a small intimate gathering. One man in the audience came up to me after and handed me a donation. After he left, I unfolded the dollar bill and realized it was a $100 bill.”

Frank Vaca, president of the LCC Gay Straight Alliance, said he was excited to have Davies on campus talking about her experiences.

“My ex and I went to go see the original movie and the bug when it was put on by the Spectrum Center at a university out of town,” Vaca said. “I follow her on Facebook and heard she was coming to Michigan so I jumped at the chance.”

Vaca said this event was in line with everything the Gay Straight Alliance represents.

“The GSA has been a group of people coming together to find friends, resources and professional connections,” Vaca said. “We are trying to raise awareness of diversity between the sexuality and gender minorities.”

The “Fagbug” documentary can be found on Netflix as well as online at fagbug.com.

Davies said her main goal is to help as many people as she can with her story.

“My overall message is not to let people get you down; to be strong, secure and confident in yourself regardless of other people’s opinions,” Davies said, “and to go after your dreams despite your own fears and lack of resources.”