The Lookout | January 18, 2018

Welcome Week activities entertain, inform students

Jaimie Bozack

Music filled the air of LCC’s courtyard Sept. 2 through 4 as representatives from different clubs and programs took part in Welcome Week 2014.

The event kicked off Tuesday, Sept 2 with the Michigan Secretary of State’s mobile office on campus, as well as a distracted driver simulator.

“I liked doing the distracted driving simulator,” LCC student Josh Ribun said. It was a really interesting to see how just sending one text could affect the way I drive.”

The Campus Resource Fair and Campus Scavenger Hunt followed on Wednesday, Sept. 3. Students got to learn about campus resources, clubs and more.

According to Student Life event manager Joshua West, this event was a good way for students to learn about LCC’s campus better.

“The most common reaction I have seen is students are surprised at how much there is here at LCC for students, in the form of support and resources,” West said.

LCC student Samantha Pfeifer said she really enjoyed the event.

“I thought it was a good way to bring all the students together and to learn about the things offered to the students,” Pfeifer said. “It was a helpful way to get to know LCC a little bit better.”

Wrapping up the activities on Thursday, Sept. 4 there was a Student Life open house in the department’s new location in the Gannon Building. It was a Throwback Thursday and a Spirit Day as well.

West said Welcome Week brought more students into the new Student Life office.

“We have also seen an increase in our online traffic and number of newsletter signups,” West said.

LCC student Bryan Herrit said this event let him see more of the campus.

“This is my first year so I didn’t know where anything was at,” Herrit said. “But I have learned a lot more because of Welcome Week and being able to walk around.”

According to West the event was successful and met the goal of showing students what campus has to offer.

He said his favorite part was just participating in the fun.

“I really enjoy being able to engage and interact with such a large number of students in such a short period of time,” West said.