The Lookout | June 25, 2018

Spikers aim for improvement in 2014

Spikers aim for improvement in 2014
Nikki Nicolaou

Richard Schenck
Sports Editor

The first-year rigors are officially in the past as Head Coach Emily Quintero leads the LCC volleyball team into the 2014 season.

There is no doubt that Quintero and her squad will be looking to improve on last year’s sub-.500 campaign that saw them slump at the end of the season, missing the playoffs.

Quintero explained a better grasp on the in-season functionality.

“I have travel under my belt, the competition of the conference, and now it’s just a matter of adapting our new players,” she said.

Recruiting wasn’t as taxing coming into the season due to one key component.

“I had time. That was a huge difference. We strive to get a good mix around our area,” Quintero said.

According to Quintero, LCC sophomores Michaela Miller, Nicole Wahrer and Angela Williams will be players likely to lead the Stars in 2014.

Infusion of new talent will be key. Quintero tabbed LCC freshman Hannah Smith out of Charlotte and Niles High School product Miranda Baker as first-year players who will contribute immediately.

Miller said she has high hopes for this season after last year’s disappointing finish.

“Looking at the team this year, I have high expectations,” Miller said. “I want to win more, I want to be more competitive, and I believe we will be more competitive in our league.”

Miller, along with other second-year players, will look to help freshmen like Smith get a feel for how college athletics at LCC work.

“(I want to help them in) understanding how the conference, states and nationals work,” Smith said. “Hopefully we can get to regionals.”

Confidence within the players starts with the coach, and Quintero said she plans to make great strides in the 2014 season.

“We are looking at top of the conference, at least top three if not higher,” Quintero said. “Definitely go to regionals, and strive for the nationals.”

The spikers’ first game was at Oakland Community College Aug. 26. The team dropped the match in three sets. The 2014 volleyball schedule can be found at www.lcc.edu/athletics.