The Lookout | March 24, 2018

LCC hikes tuition, assesses parking fee

LCC hikes tuition, assesses parking fee
Nikki Nicolaou

Jaimie Bozack

Lansing Community College plans to raise the cost of tuition by 2.4 percent this fall, and also assess a mandatory parking fee for all students.

The tuition increase is equivalent to $2 per billing hour for students, according to Lisa Webb Sharpe, LCC’s senior vice president for finance, administration and advancement.

The Board of Trustees passed a $124.6 million budget June 16, and the tuition increase and parking fees were major points in the budget.

LCC will charge every student a new $5-per-billing-hour parking fee, which will allow them to park in the college’s lots and ramps with no additional charge.

Students who don’t drive to LCC will also be charged this additional fee, but in the long run it will actually be saving students money, Webb Sharpe said.

Webb Sharpe said the new parking fee will give students more opportunities.

“It will allow students to feel free to stay on campus, to meet with faculty, meet with advisers, meet with fellow students, make stronger connections without worrying about how much money is in the parking meters,” Webb Sharpe said.

“The main thing is that we want students to feel more comfortable on campus, instead of constantly worrying about how much money is in their parking meter they won’t have to because it’s included.”

According to Webb Sharpe, the new budget takes into consideration the declines in enrollment in all community colleges.

“I’m very proud to say that even with the increase in tuition, LCC is still number two in lowest costing community colleges in Michigan,” Webb Sharpe said.

Engineering student Felix Guden said he sees some hope in the changes but does not agree a tuition increase is the way to go.

“I’m sure raising tuition will pay off in the long run and will be good for their budget, I just wish it was good for my budget too,” Guden said. “I don’t even drive; I shouldn’t have to pay more tuition to park.”

LCC student Nick Sagolla said he thinks this change will be good for everyone.

“I think there are more positive effects of increased tuition,” Sagolla said. “It will allow the college to be able to afford new supplies and renovate facilities. The increased tuition could be used to pay teachers a higher salary.”

1. Kristen Kinney

How is one who does not park on campus be expected to pay $5 an hour to attend classes? I take online courses and am charged a fee for that. There is no justifying this. This fee, combined with the tuition increase may have me leaving LCC. I only need two more classes to have my degree but may not be able to afford to finish. Rate hikes, paying for a service I will never use (parking) and rate increases for books have me contemplating what to do.

I would like for Webb Sharpe to explain how this is true: “Students who don’t drive to LCC will also be charged this additional fee, but in the long run it will actually be saving students money, Webb Sharpe said.”

• Sara

I agree with you Kristen. I’m absolutely furious about this as I am an online student as well who has never even once parked at LCC. Not once. In two years. How can it possibly be justified for a mandatory parking fee. They have meters for a reason and even semester passes for those who park a lot. How can there possibly be reasoning that it would save the students, especially ones who never use the parking spaces, money in the long run. The “reasons” Webb Sharpe spoke of are just fancy words to try and cover up how they have no grounds to do this. The worst part is that even those “reasons” don’t come close to fooling anyone. I can’t imagine anyone being able to say them with a straight face and believe they are not saying blatant lies.

2. Anonymous

Maybe they are doing this because they realized the “Pay-By-Space” system in the Gannon Ramp was an absolute disaster — THAT was why students were rushing around, worrying how much was in the “meter.” If they make it like a normal parking ramp, where you pay for how long you stayed as you are leaving the ramp, problems would minimize drastically. But now the Gannon Ramp will be more full than ever, forcing students to walk to class or park miles away (really looking forward to those winter months). What LCC is doing has it’s good intentions, but is doomed to fail.

3. Olivia

I completely agree with Kristen. I don’t drive, I actually live right by the school purposely so that I can walk to school because of the fact that I don’t drive and taking cabs when I lived further away got really pricey, and now I have to pay for parking??? How is that going to save me money in the long run, please can you answer that question? Actually, wait, I can answer that question myself… It is not going to. By making that statement, Webb Sharpe just made it even more obvious to me that there were no grounds for this new fee for all students. Maybe if Webb Sharpe had continued on to explain this statement, however the subject changed and never returned to that topic, making this statement almost laughable to me. I like the way the people in charge at LCC must think we are complete idiots to actually believe that this is beneficial for everyone. Please, we aren’t as stupid as you look. I mean think.