Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

The Lookout | December 10, 2018

Scroll to top

Top

No Comments

Student groups gather to fight cancer

Student groups gather to fight cancer
Nikki Nicolaou

Shelby Schueller
Freelance Writer

Lansing Community College’s Student Life Office, Phi Theta Kappa and Program Board are coming together to fight for a cancer cure during this month’s Relay For Life event, to be held at Cooley Law School Stadium in Lansing.

Sponsored by the American Cancer Society, Relay For Life is a fundraising event in which teams and individuals walk (or run) laps around a track to help raise money for cancer research. It will begin on Friday, June 27 at 2 p.m. and continue until Saturday, June 28 at 2 p.m.

The event is free, but donations are accepted. According to the American Cancer Society 2012 statistics, 72 percent of donations go to cancer research, patient support, prevention and treatment. The remaining 28 percent goes to fundraising and management expenses for events like Relay.

“Even if you come and just walk a lap…you’re doing something” said LCC PTK President Anita Reyes, team captain and a three-time cancer survivor.  “We want everybody: children, college students, parents, grandparents … we want those people.”

There are also attractions at the relay besides walking laps around the track.

Teams normally set up a tent around the track and sell items like crafts and baked goods. They also host games.

While each team offers something different, all proceeds are donated to the American Cancer Society.

According to Reyes, the Lansing Community College-PTK team will sell courage bracelets. The group will also host a Wiffle Ball tournament and a silent auction, and will provide an opportunity to throw a pie in team co-captain Mark Davis’s face.

Relay For Life will have ceremonies throughout the two days, including a cancer survivors’ victory lap, in which the survivors who attend the event are honored.

There will also be a Luminaria Ceremony at night that remembers those who lost their lives to cancer, as well as a Fight Back Ceremony where participants make a personal commitment to save lives by fighting against cancer. The commitment can involve activities like quitting smoking and getting a screening test.

Davis said Relay For Life is “a celebration of life; about having another birthday. It’s hope, essentially.”

For more information about the relay, or volunteering opportunities with the LCC team, email Chance Miller, Student Life volunteer coordinator, at studentlife@lcc.edu.

Go to http://lcc.edu/studentlife/volunteer_services/upcoming_events/index.aspx to join the Lansing Community College-PTK team.

Submit a Comment