The Lookout | September 24, 2018

Aviation Program at LCC takes off

Aviation Program at LCC takes off
Nikki Nicolaou

Jaimie Bozack

Lansing Community College showcased its Aviation Technology Program June 11 with an open house at the LCC Aviation Technology Center at the Jewett Airport in Mason.

The purpose of the open house was to provide information about the program. Visitors got an inside look at different facilities, helicopters and small planes displayed throughout the building.

Student Lane Vance, who planned to attend the event, said he was excited to learn more about the program.

“I’m interested in being able to build and fly my own planes someday; it’s always been a dream of mine,” Vance said, “so for me attending this event might be a step in the right direction.”

The program is focused on giving students a unique hands-on ability of working with planes, according to director of Aviation Technology Mark Cosgrove.

“The program is challenging, but in 24 months our students will gain measurable expertise working with large and small planes, piston and get engines, traditional aircraft construction and advanced composite materials,” Cosgrove said. “This is a great opportunity to visit our facility and learn more about the program and profession.”

Students who successfully complete the Aviation Technology Program will be prepared to successfully pass all Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) examinations and requirements necessary to earn their FAA licenses.

Two associate degrees in the field can also be obtained by adding five additional courses during or after training.

For Vance, completing the program is a goal.

“I will be new to LCC so by going to this open house I’m hoping to get my foot in the door of a really great program I’m interested in,” Vance said.