Hoffman is distinguished alumnus

Hoffman is distinguished alumnus
The Lookout

Jaimie Bozack
Co-Editor in Chief

The Lansing Community College Alumni Association recently selected LCC graduate Bob Hoffman as the recipient of the Distinguished Alumni of the Year award winner for

Hoffman is the founder of ePIFanyNow, a non-profit organization focused on spreading kindness. He is also the public relations manager at the Wharton Center for Performing Arts at Michigan State University.

“I’m really honored and surprised to win the award,” Hoffman said. “There are so many other people that are probably more deserving than me, so for them to pick me was very nice.”

Hoffman graduated from LCC 23 years ago. His ePIFanyNow organization has over 3,000 participants. The purpose of it is to spread kindness nationwide.

“We have community events once a year and people show up and give ideas on things you can do to make a difference in someone else’s life,” Hoffman said. “They go out and do an act of kindness and then come back and share the story with the group.”

According to Hoffman, volunteering is something he always thought was important and he said LCC had a big part in it.

“I just feel personally that everyone can make a difference,” Hoffman said. “Even when I was at Lansing Community College I was involved in several different organizations.”

ePIFanyNow has caught the attention of CBS. The CBS Evening News recently aired a report on Hoffman.

Hoffman said he owes a lot to LCC.

“I love LCC,” Hoffman said. “I feel like LCC gave me my start. It feels like an extension of family. After high school everyone just treated me so kind and so nice.”

Hoffman was asked by the Alumni Association to speak at LCC’s graduation on May 16.

“I’m so proud of LCC and I think anyone that goes there should be very proud,” Hoffman said.

“I feel like my speech went very well. I’m honored that the alumni association would allow me to do this.”

LCC student Sarah Kilbourn said she thought Hoffman was a good representative to speak for the college.

“He had so much love to give about LCC,” Kilbourn said. “It was definitely inspiring to know what he has done since graduating.”