The Lookout | August 2, 2014

NASA picks photo by alumnus

NASA picks photo by alumnus
bozackj

Chelsea Allen

Former LCC student Vincent Brady was recently given the opportunity to feature one of his photos with NASA’s Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD).

“Warped Sky: Star Trails over Arches National Park” is the title of Brady’s photography piece that was displayed on APOD’s Facebook page and website on March 17.

“It was as simple as posting it on their (APOD’s) Facebook page,” the 25-year-old Brady said. “Regardless I’d probably posted about 20 different shots over the course of a year and sent them a few e-mails; I finally got their attention with this one.”

For this specific shot, Brady explained he had to hike uphill for about two miles to get to Delicate Arch while carrying all of his equipment.

“Between hiking, shooting, and editing I usually spend about 15 hours on each panorama,” Brady said.

Brady described what it feels like to capture such a photo as the one selected for APOD.

“It’s an overwhelming feeling to be alone in blackness — in sacred sites and away from 6.5 billion people on a cold, clear, moonless night and under so many stars,” Brady said. “Many people might be uncomfortable in that situation, but I seem to be addicted to it.”

This addiction has led Brady to travel on the road to different places that capture his artistic eye.

“I still have a lot of work to do before I am making a comfortable living as a travel photographer,” Brady said. “I’m starting to see that it’s possible to reach this goal. In the meantime, I call in-and-around my car home.”

Brady described himself as an “aspiring 21st Century gypsy travel photographer.”

“Uncomfortable sleeping, cheap eating, and running away from friends as soon as you make them at the coffee shop is all part of this game, but I love what I do,” Brady said.

Brady’s inspirational outlook almost seems unrealistic, considering not long ago he was sitting in the same seats that many LCC students sit in today.

“I tended to favor the classes where there were not specific shooting assignments,” Brady said. “Ike (Lea)’s classes were great, as the Photoshop guru himself was always giving me ideas on how to speed up editing time.”

Lea, the program faculty chair of photography, offered his memories of Brady as a student.

“Vincent was, and still is, a big ball of energy to say the least,” Lea said. “He is self-motivated and curious in the ways that he took what we taught him and took it so much further.”

For more information on Brady or his photography, visit www.vincentbrady.com or www.facebook.com/VincentBradyPhoto.