The Lookout | November 1, 2014

LCC retiree wins esteemed award

LCC retiree wins esteemed award
bozackj

Jeremy Kohn
Co-Editor in Chief

Mary Brown was a teacher of Introductory Science for 35 years at Lansing Community College before retiring last year.

Brown received a generous parting gift. She was selected as the 2014 Michigan College Teacher of the Year by the Michigan Science Teachers Association.

Brown recently spoke about her 35-year tenure at LCC with much admiration.

“I loved teaching the students at Lansing Community College,” Brown said. “I’ve taught at other institutions and I really believed these students were among the best I’ve ever been honored to teach.

“Many of those students of mine are now teachers themselves. Some have gone on to advanced degrees. I am very proud of each of them,” Brown said.

The former LCC teacher talked about the honor of winning the 2014 College Teacher of the Year Award.

“I feel humbled as I know there are many exceptional college science teachers across the state of Michigan. Michigan is nationally recognized for science education. To be so honored by my colleagues is truly humbling.

“There are many science educators in the state (whom)I regard with awe.”

Brown attributed her students as the true winners of the award. She said her students have accompanied her to many state and national conferences over the years. They have also helped Brown with such projects as Future Teachers’ Club, Reading is Fundamental and many other outreach events.

Brown also spoke adamantly about the science faculty at LCC being an inspiration in her teaching style. She explained how the teachers would regularly read article on how to better their teaching craft.

The science faculty also held Brown in high regard as a teacher, including long-time peer Lu Anne Clark.

“Mary Brown is the ultimate example of a science teacher and really cared about her students. I loved working with her over the years,” Clark said.

Another colleague of Brown’s, Steve Carlson, also had kind words to say about the 2014 Michigan Science award honoree.

“Mary Brown is indeed an exceptional teacher who has promoted science education in the class room and in the community,” Carlson said. “This honor is well deserved.”

Brown will receive her prestigious award next month as the Michigan Science Teachers Association will host a banquet March 7 and 8 at the Lansing Center.