The Lookout | July 17, 2018

Power outages, snowstorms and cold, oh my!

The Lookout

Jaimie Bozack
The Lookout Co-Editor

Snow piles stacked high in the air, slush-covered sidewalks and ice patches are just some of the things students are dealing with as they arrive back on campus.

This past holiday season has been an interesting one for many students. There have been ice storms that caused power outages and snowstorms, which caused Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero to declare a “snow state of emergency.”

LCC student AJ Turner said this holiday season has been very interesting for him.

“My family spent 10 days without power, including Christmas and New Year’s Day,” Turner said. “It was a pretty weird experience. Our holiday traditions were kind of put on hold, but it also brought us closer together.”

The snowstorm that hit Lansing Jan. 5 and 6 left up to 16 inches of snow in some areas.

LCC student Heather Fuller said she has never seen anything like it.

“The first night it hit, I could hear branches cracking and hitting the ground every couple minutes,” Fuller said. “It was a little scary.”

Fuller said she wishes she would have taken more precautions.

“We didn’t prepare at all and by the end of the snowstorm, food was running low and we had to limit showers due to lack of power,” Fuller said.

Students aren’t the only ones who are dealing with the aftermath of the storm. LCC itself had plows on the move since the storm hit, attempting to make things safe for students and faculty.

According to LCC Police Director William French, even with the large amount of snow there have not been a large amount of accidents.

“We did not have any students and very few staff (during the week of Jan. 6) so we did not have any accidents on campus,” French said. “We did police a couple of accidents on the street to help out Lansing Police.”

This winter break made history in Lansing. For LCC student Brooke Burns, it is history she does not want to repeat.

“Being without power for a week was horrible,” Burns said. “I felt like some sort of caveman. I never want to experience that again; I’ll move to Florida.”